WMD Guns offers highly technical services encompassing a diverse team of experts collaborating on customized coating for each customer. Metallurgists, PhD Chemists and plating engineers work with gunsmiths, engineers and shooting professionals to deliver highly specialized services to each customer. We provide services from concept to conception.
- Innovation: The innovators in nickel boron products for the firearms industry—and the sole source of the NiB-X® nickel boron coating process.
- Quality: WMD has established a quality reputation based on extensive firearm and defense industry experience, plating expertise, and gunsmithing capabilities.
- Expertise: WMD has an arsenal of coating technologies, offering not only their proprietary NiB-X process, but also a full range of other performance coating technologies, including Salt Bath Nitride (Nitromet, Melonite), Electroless Nickel Teflon, Electroless Nickel Boron Nitride, decorative ceramic topcoatings, and more.
ABOUT OUR NIB-X TECHNOLOGY
Why select WMD’s NiB-X nickel boron over other nickel boron products?
The success we have had in pioneering high-quality, nickel boron products into the firearms market has initiated a number of efforts from latecomers to offer “nickel boron” products. Some fraudulent products have been discovered whereby companies are claiming to have their parts coated in nickel boron and it turns out to be an inferior coating (NOTE: Electroless nickel with boron nitride particles IS NOT Nickel Boron. See below discussion). Others have tried coating shops that are new to applying nickel boron and the products are suffering from poor adhesion and poor coating quality. Others are using inferior materials in their products to save money and then coating them (polishing the proverbial turd). All of these alternatives lead to performance issues when put into service.
There are some major differences to point out between WMD Guns services and products and those offered by others. The –X in NiB-X stands for more than eXtreme durability, performance and reliability. It also stands for eXpert chemistry, processing, application and engineering.
- Chemistry: NiB-X is a proprietary nickel boron created from its constituents, not procured from a chemistry supplier as a standard off the shelf product. Thus we control the properties of the coating that is applied. NiB-X contains no lead in the coating (like FailZero’s does) and optimizes the hardness/lubricity balance in its properties.
- Facilities/Processes: NiB-X is applied in our high volume, high-quality production facility using our NADCAP-accredited processes. NADCAP accreditation means that we have achieved the highest level of process control that is acknowledged in the aerospace industry. Nickel Boron is a very difficult technology to control and yield high quality results. The ordinary mom and pop shop cannot just install a tank and start running the technology with success. Real nickel boron must be certified to ASTMB607 and/or AMS2433C. Each and every WMD order is certified to these specifications.
- Application: A staff of metallurgists, PhD Chemists, and plating engineers collaborate daily with gunsmiths, engineers and industry professionals to ensure that each new part is engineered with the optimum coating parameters. Nickel Boron is not a “dip and ship” technology. It requires proper application development to be performed in order to be successful. This combination of talent within one Team is very unique in the industry.
- Engineering: WMD engineers its products for the coating technology used. We have seen products sent to us by customers who bought brand ABC parts from an entrepreneurial vendor who had excess stock and decided to just coat them with any nickel boron because it is the hot coating. This vendor sent the cheapest materials to the cheapest coating shop they could find. We are starting to see the results from the lack of engineering done on those interfaces…
- Arsenal of Technologies: WMD offers the widest array of advanced surface treatments under one roof of any provider in the firearms sector. With a selection of NiB-X, salt bath nitrocarburizing QPQ (Melonite, Tennifer , black nitride, etc.), Electroless Nickel Teflon, Electroless nickel with boron nitride, black nickel, black nickel teflon, zinc nickel and ceramic topcoats, WMD is able to offer the right coating for the right application.
What are the differences between NiB-X and other technologies such as Nickel Teflon (NP3, NP3+, Obsidian), Chrome, Melonite (tennifer, black nitride), PVD (IonBond), Nickel boron nitride, and CeraKote (and other spray on bake on treatments such as DuraCoat, GunKote, etc)?
NiB-X is 40% harder than chrome and has a Rc70 hardness. This is much harder than Nickel Teflon (~Rc45), and MeloniteTM (Rc55). The process temperature for Melonite and other salt bath nitrocarburizing is 1050°F and too high for many components.
PVD coatings are harder than NiB-X but are only a couple microns thick. What’s more, these coating are line-of-sight only (can’t do inside diameters and complex shapes may get uneven application) and do not have the low coefficient of friction. NIB-X provides higher reliability operation for longer durations and allows for reduced maintenance and easier clean up.
Nickel Boron nitride is essentially electroless nickel with boron nitride mixed in the matrix, very similar to the Nickel Teflon process. Whereas NiB-X is a single coating and structure throughout the thickness, Nickel Teflon and Nickel Boron Nitride are duplex layers with a layer of electroless nickel and then a thin layer of EN+Teflon or EN+ Boron Nitride (.0001”-.0002”). Once the telfon or boron nitride wears off you are down to only electroless nickel. Additionally with 20-30% of the Teflon or BN at the bond line you do not get the tenacious adherence that NiB-X gives you. Those technologies have a tendency to flake or spall in wear areas. WMD also offers Nickel Teflon upon request, but since it is the same price and less performance we opt to use NiB-X for most applications.
The spray-on, bake-on systems offer very low hardness (measured in pencil hardness) and little wear resistance. Thus, when CeraKote is put directly onto steel, it will wear off quickly and provide corrosion initiation sites on your components. WMD uses these ceramics for color on top of NiB-X (and our other technologies). WMD offers a full line of ceramic coating like these in many colors to meet customers’ needs. But here’s the WMD difference: when the ceramic wears, our NiB-X is still protecting the substrate.
About Our BCGs:
- BCGs are engineered and built specifically for the coating. others “dip & ship,” using standard or substandard components. Beware of fraudulent material and coating claims!
- NiB-X provides a permanently lubricious surface for minimal lube requirements.
- Quick and easy to clean: powder residue and fouling wipe off with a cloth.
- Every component of WMD’s BCG is operator- grade quality; others have been known to use cheaper materials and inferior coatings without customers’ knowledge. WMD BCGs will last 10,000s of rounds.
- You can see and feel the difference…with a finish that’s actually superior to the exterior surfaces of many firearms!
- Coating carries lifetime warranty.
COMPONENTS AND KITS
• Are these components all American-made?
Yes. All our parts are made in the USA by some of the most established and respected suppliers to the firearms industry. Our goal is to provide you with components that are even higher quality than the parts you’re removing from your gun.
• What can I expect for my investment in NiB-X® coated parts?
You’ll immediately feel a smoother action. Your cleaning time will be greatly reduced, because NiB-X coated surfaces resist fouling adhesion – and powder residue wipes off easily. And since our parts require minimal or no lubrication, you won’t have to contend with the debris that lubricants can attract. Additionally, due to the superior wear resistance of NiB-X you can expect extended parts life.
• Will NiB-X affect accuracy?
Not directly, but the smoother-functioning action and cleaner trigger pull made possible by the NiB-X coating can help you maximize the inherent accuracy potential of your firearm.
• Can I install the parts myself, or do I need to take them to a gunsmith?
While our parts are precisely toleranced and ready to install without additional machining, we recommend that installation(s) of any NiB-X parts be inspected by a competent gunsmith to ensure proper functioning and headspace. The purchaser and/or installer of these parts accepts full responsibility for the correct adjustment and function after such installation has been made or attempted.
• Do you guarantee your products?
Absolutely. We provide a lifetime warranty against chipping, peeling, flaking or wear-through of our NiB-X coating. See our warranty document for full details.
Information that is Gathered from Visitors
In common with other websites, log files are stored on the web server saving details such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, referring page and time of visit. Cookies may be used to remember visitor preferences when interacting with the website. Where registration is required, the visitor’s email and a username will be stored on the server.
How the Information is Used
- The information is used to enhance the visitor’s experience when using the website to display personalized content and possibly advertising.
- E-mail addresses will not be sold, rented or leased to 3rd parties.
- E-mail may be sent to inform you of news of our services or offers by us or our affiliates.
If you have subscribed to one of our services, you may unsubscribe by following the instructions which are included in the e-mail that you receive. You may be able to block cookies via your browser settings but this may prevent you from access to certain features of our website.
WMD Guns Limited Lifetime Warranty on Coatings
This warranty covers the products of WMD Guns for failure of the NiB-X® coating against chipping, peeling or wear-through. The warranty is of unlimited duration. WMD Guns will recoat the product free of charge including return shipping costs. This warranty does not cover customer abuse at any time. This express limited warranty is the only warranty on this product. This product is sold “as is” and has no implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. There are no warranties which extend beyond the description on the face hereof. WMD Guns shall not be responsible in any manner whatsoever for malfunctioning of the firearm, or for physical injury or property damage, resulting in whole or in part from (1) criminal or negligent discharge, (2) improper or careless handling, (3) unauthorized modifications, (4) defective, improperly hand-loaded, or reloaded ammunition, (5) neglect, or (6) other influences beyond our direct and immediate control. This limitation applies regardless of whether liability is asserted on the basis of contract, negligence or strict liability (including any failure to warn). Under no circumstances shall WMD Guns be liable for incidental or consequential damages, such as loss of use of property, commercial loss and loss of earnings or profits.
For questions regarding our warranty, please contact us via email.
If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you can return the product and get a full refund or exchange the product for another one, be it similar or not.
You can return a product for up to 30 days from the date you purchased it.
Any product you return must be in the same condition you received it and in the original packaging. Please keep the receipt and include that with your return.